Josh Brolin Confirms Sicario 3 Is Happening, Says Official Update Is Coming Soon

Josh Brolin Confirms Sicario 3 Is Happening
August 23, 2026

Josh Brolin has given the clearest update yet on the long-awaited third Sicario film, confirming that the project is moving forward after years of uncertainty. Speaking to ScreenRant while promoting his upcoming film The Dog Stars, Brolin said Sicario 3 “is happening” and indicated that an official path forward is expected to be announced soon.

Brolin’s latest comments mark a notable change in tone from his previous updates on the project. Late last year, he told The Hollywood Reporter that he kept hearing the film was “right around the corner,” following years of reports about the screenplay being written and rewritten without substantial movement. This time, however, Brolin was more definitive, saying the film is moving forward and that production is expected to begin soon. No official release date has been announced.

Producer Thad Luckinbill has also recently provided an update on the project. Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Luckinbill confirmed that discussions about a third film have taken place and that those involved are hoping to move forward. Fellow producer Molly Smith has previously discussed the development process, with the screenplay reportedly undergoing multiple rewrites as the filmmakers attempt to meet the standard established by the first two films.

Several major creative details remain unresolved. No director has officially been attached to Sicario 3, although Smith has previously suggested that Christopher McQuarrie could potentially take on directing duties. McQuarrie is best known for his work on the Mission: Impossible franchise. Denis Villeneuve, who directed the original Sicario in 2015, did not return for the 2018 sequel Sicario: Day of the Soldado and remains committed to the Dune franchise.

It is also unclear whether Taylor Sheridan, who wrote both previous Sicario films, will write the third installment. Early reports have suggested that Sheridan had at least partially written a draft, but his involvement in the current version has not been confirmed.

The project has carried the working title Sicario: Capos for several years. The Spanish term roughly translates to “bosses,” potentially suggesting a story involving more powerful cartel figures. However, specific plot details for the third film have not been confirmed.

Another major question concerns Emily Blunt’s potential return as FBI agent Kate Macer. Blunt starred in the original Sicario but did not appear in Day of the Soldado. Producers have previously indicated that they consider her return important to the third film, particularly because her character provides an important moral perspective within the franchise. Nothing has been confirmed regarding her involvement at this stage.

The original Sicario was released in 2015 and starred Brolin, Blunt and Benicio del Toro. The film followed an idealistic FBI agent who becomes involved in a covert government operation targeting the drug trade along the U.S.-Mexico border. Villeneuve directed the film from a screenplay by Sheridan, and the movie premiered in competition at the Cannes Film Festival before receiving three Academy Award nominations.

The sequel, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, arrived in 2018 with Brolin and del Toro returning. The film shifted the focus toward Brolin’s CIA operative Matt Graver, while Blunt’s Kate Macer was absent. Although the sequel expanded the action and continued the franchise’s cartel storyline, it did not receive the same critical response as Villeneuve’s original film.

Brolin has remained one of the most consistent voices supporting the third film during its long development. He previously told The Hollywood Reporter that Sicario 3 “deserves” to be made, while acknowledging that he did not know when production would happen. His continued involvement as Matt Graver makes him a central part of the franchise’s potential return.

For now, the biggest development is Brolin’s confirmation that Sicario 3 is moving forward. However, the project remains without a confirmed director, release date or complete cast. The status of Sheridan’s involvement and Blunt’s potential return also remains unclear.

An official announcement regarding the film’s director, casting and production timeline is expected to provide the next major update. Until then, Brolin’s comments represent the strongest indication yet that Sicario 3 has finally moved beyond years of development uncertainty.

Read More:

Share this post :

WhatsApp
Facebook
LinkedIn
Threads
X
Pinterest
Telegram
Email
Print

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WEB STORIES