Planet of films | Home planet for Cinephiles

Michael 2 Moves Closer as Lionsgate Eyes Sequel After Box Office Smash

Jaafar Jackson in Micheal as Lionsgate gives a positive update on Michael 2 after the Michael Jackson biopic became a major global box office success.
May 22, 2026

Lionsgate is moving closer to a sequel to Michael, the studio’s Michael Jackson biopic, after the first film became one of the biggest box office performers of 2026.

The latest update came from Lionsgate Studios Motion Picture Chair Adam Fogelson during the company’s quarterly earnings call. Variety reported that Fogelson said the studio is encouraged by the progress being made on the follow-up and that discussions around the project are moving well.

Fogelson also pointed to the amount of Michael Jackson’s life and music that the first film did not cover, suggesting that a second film would still have major material to explore. He said there are still large parts of Jackson’s story, along with some of the biggest and most popular sections of his music catalog, that were not touched in the first movie.

The first Michael starred Jaafar Jackson as his late uncle and followed the singer’s rise from the Jackson 5 years through the Bad era. Directed by Antoine Fuqua and written by John Logan, the film also featured Colman Domingo, Nia Long, Miles Teller, Laura Harrier and Kat Graham in key roles.

The film ended with the title card “His Story Continues,” which immediately led to speculation that Lionsgate was preparing a second chapter. At the time, the line could have been read as a broad acknowledgement that Jackson’s life continued beyond the period covered in the film. With Fogelson now openly discussing sequel progress, the line appears more closely connected to a possible continuation.

The strong box office performance of Michael has clearly helped the sequel conversation. The film opened strongly in April and quickly became one of the year’s major theatrical successes. We previously reported that Michael delivered a record-setting domestic debut for a biopic, while more recent reports have placed its worldwide total above $700 million.

The commercial response came despite mixed reviews from critics. Several reviews questioned the film’s selective approach to Jackson’s life, especially around the more controversial parts of his later years. However, audience turnout remained strong, helping the film become one of the most successful music biopics in recent years.

A sequel would allow Lionsgate to cover material that was not included in the first film. Fogelson indicated that the follow-up could explore events both before and after the timeline of Michael, giving the studio room to revisit earlier moments while also moving into later chapters of Jackson’s career.

That structure could be important because the first film focused largely on Jackson’s rise and musical dominance up to the Bad era. A second film could potentially move into later albums, major tours, public controversies and the final decades of his life. However, Lionsgate has not yet confirmed the exact storyline, title or release date.

It also remains unclear whether Antoine Fuqua will return to direct the sequel. Fuqua has previously shown interest in continuing the story, and earlier reports suggested that enough material had been filmed to support another movie. But the latest update from Lionsgate did not officially confirm the director, full cast or production timeline.

Jaafar Jackson would likely remain central to any continuation, given that his performance was one of the most widely discussed parts of the first film. While the movie drew criticism for its narrative choices, Jaafar’s portrayal of Michael Jackson was frequently highlighted as one of its strongest elements.

A follow-up may also face careful attention over how it handles Jackson’s later life. The first film was already scrutinized for how it approached sensitive chapters of the singer’s story. If the sequel moves further into those years, Lionsgate will likely face renewed questions about what the film chooses to include and what it leaves out.

However, the commercial case for a sequel is clear. Michael became a major global hit, left significant parts of Jackson’s life and music untouched, and ended with a line that naturally opened the door for more story. Fogelson said Lionsgate is confident that the next film can become another globally appealing project as the pieces come together.

No official production start date has been announced yet. Lionsgate has also not confirmed whether the sequel will be titled Michael 2 or whether it will take a different title. For now, the studio’s latest comments suggest that the follow-up is moving ahead in development after the first film’s massive theatrical run.

With Michael proving its global box office strength, Lionsgate now has one of the clearest sequel opportunities in the music biopic space. The next step will be whether the studio confirms the creative team, production timeline and release plan for the second film.

Read More:

Share this post :

WhatsApp
Facebook
LinkedIn
Threads
X
Pinterest
Telegram
Email
Print

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WEB STORIES